Saturday 14 April 2012

9 Years

 My whole teenage life. 9 years old to 18 years old, and counting.
9 years...
    I have wore a head band.
    I have avoided swimming.
    I have avoiding taking pictures.
    I have avoided crowds.
    I've been edgy when its windy.
    I have had to spend my morning making sure my hair is perfectly placed.
    I have had people ask me why I wear a head band every day.
    I have had people talk about me.
    my parents have wished for me to stop.
    I have had a low self esteem.
    I have had no boyfriend, ashamed of my hair.
    felt ugly.
    I have stressed about formal events where there is nothing special I can do with my hair.
    I have had people stare at my hair than look into my eyes when they talk to me.
    I have not had a boyfriend, ashamed that somebody would want to be with me.
    I have not been able to be completely comfortable around my friends, there's always a point where I worry about my hair.

1 comment:

  1. I'll share as well.
    12 years, age 12 to 24, I've been pulling. Starting with my scalp, and also my eyelashes around the age of 15.
    I didn't start dating until I was 20, always afraid of what someone would think of me. Even since, I've yet to have a steady boyfriend for fear of sharing my so obvious secret.
    I was seeing someone a couple years ago, he had driven two hours to visit me at college, and while we were talking he asked why I never wear my hair down. I was mortified.
    I haven't been swimming in well over 10 years. I tried using a bandanna for a year or so, but it would fall off in the water. Again, mortified.
    I feared staying the night with friends when I was growing up. I would always have to wake up early to fix my hair before anyone else would awaken.
    I hate the way I look. I can't get past my fear of the way I look when it comes to a relationship. I thought it would be better once I got the wig, now I'm worried about what happens if he tries to run his fingers through my hair, and realizes my hair isn't really.
    You aren't alone, I promise.
    Have you looked into Trichotillomania Learning Center Resources? I've joined a forum and speak with other Trichsters. It's good for me to hear others' stories.
    If you want to talk, you can email me at swestfall1988@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete