Saturday 28 April 2012

How to Tell a Friend

So I think one of the hardest things to do is tell a friend you have Trich. 
Your friends are going to notice that your hair is different and they will notice your thinning spots/ bald spots.The question you have to ask yourself if you want this person to know. Do you trust them enough. Your friend is going to ask what is happening. Sometimes they don't bother asking. In my case, my friends haven't asking directly. They have asked me why I always wear a head band. If I'm no ready to tell them I simply say that I don't the way my hair looks or my hair annoys me when its down. They may not believe but most of the time they leave it at that. It's scary telling somebody about Trich. They are either going to me really supportive, ignore it or use it against you. All of these have happened to me. When I have known somebody long enough, I just simply say that the reason I wear the head band all the time is because I have Trichotillomania. Then I explain it to them. I have noticed that the more supportive friends ask questions and say I'm beautiful no matter what. I have friends who accept it and never mention it again. I have friends who always ask me how I am doing. This is hard. I know all they want to do is be there for me but it is hard explaining my progress/ set back to them when I know they don't truly understand.  I have had friends who bring it up in a terrible situation in front of me. I tell them its not the time and I talk to them about it later. They either get it or don't.  Sometimes, they stop being my friend. Don't get me wrong, it is upsetting. But at least you know who your real friends are. Some people who you thought are your friends tell other people. You tell the so called friend that you trusted them and that they broke that trust. You tell the person they told that its confidential. You hope/ pray that it more people you don't trust know.
Your real friends will love you no matter what you look like. Your real friends will support you if you don't feel comfortable in a situation. Your real friends say you look beautiful. Your real friends stare at your eyes and not at your hair. You know when they are your real friends. 
At least Trich lets you know who your real friends really are. Trich lets you know who is a good person and who is not worth your time.

1 comment:

  1. This helps so much but the same thing is that im super scared that my friends will reject me. Like last week me and my friends were on the bus and she accidently pulls her arm over my headband and knocks it off to the floor. I do have hair in the front its just that when I remove the headband you see empty spaces. She had suddenly made these eyes that told she was disgusted. She still askes me why she can see my head instead of hair, I didn't know what to do so I quickly changed the subject. IM SCARED TO DEATH WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN.

    ReplyDelete